Black bars...

Discussion in 'Video Encoding' started by CoolBunny, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hey guys! Since I use Fraps, when I record, everything is going just fine but when I want to edit the video with Sony Vegas Pro 13, at the really end when I'm converting the project into a video, I can see black bars each side of the video. I checked! I don't see them while I edit but they appear when I'm converting the video! Is that due to Fraps or to Sony Vegas Pro or to my computer's settings. Because I don't really know. Can someone help me out? Thanks!

2. Thalmor Wizard

Thalmor Wizard Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

What's the video resolution of your Fraps recording? What resolution are you using in Sony Vegas? What's the resolution of the rendered file after editing in Sony Vegas?

deardevildude19 likes this.
  3. deardevildude19

deardevildude19 Sexy Duck Site Contributor Well-Known Member

If you set Sony Vegas to edit/ render is a 16:9 aspect ratio, e.g. 1280x720 or 1920x1080, and if the video is at a 4:3 aspect ratio, e.g. 1024x768, then it will cause black bars on the video.

Here is an example screenshot of 16:9 vs 4:3
    16x9 v 4x3.jpg
    16x9 v 4x3 #2.jpg

So what ever game you are playing, you have to make sure that it is in a resolution such as 1280x720, 1600x900, 1920x1080 etc...

4. When I'm editing a video, there's the resolution written under it. It's 1280 x 768 x 32. I always render as Internet 1980 x 1080 - 30P. I can't find my fraps resolution. What should I do?

5. deardevildude19

deardevildude19 Sexy Duck Site Contributor Well-Known Member

To find the resolution of the video, find the video file then Right Click it, go to "Properties" then click the "Details" tab. In there it will tell you the resolution of it.

Also I think that 1280x768 is a 16:10 resolution which will cause black bars when editing into a 16:9 video. The lines wont be as drastic as 4:3 but they will still be there.

Thalmor Wizard likes this.