Change file type to MKV / recorder recommendation

I recorded a 3 minute video and it had the size file of 5gb. like what the actual fu is this.. when i found out that the program was recording in AVI i undestood the ridiculous large file size..

The question is, is it possible to make Fraps record in MKV or MP4? I really don't want to use a convertor everytime i record something, and since made the terrible mistake of buying a GPU from AMD, i can't use Nvidia Shadowplay, and ReLive make the goddamn indicator appear in the video (WHY??).

If it is not possible to change the file type to a smaller size, can you guys recommend me a recorder that doesn't screw your FPS? I've already tried action mirillis (drops my fps way too much), windows recorder (good but doesn't work in all games, and that's a huge problem).

My current setup is: Ryze 5 1600 / RX 580 8gb / 16gb DDR4 Dual Channel.

ETAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
FRAPS records in almost lossless quality - check this post for a more detailed explanation if you are curious:

why-should-i-encode-my-videos.2690

Back to your question though... check out OpenBroadcastSoftware (OBS): https://obsproject.com

It is primarily designed for streaming to services like twitch.tv, but it has an output option in the settings to generate .mp4 files instead.

Last edited:
FRAPS records in almost lossless quality - check this post for a more detailed explanation if you are curious:

why-should-i-encode-my-videos.2690

Back to your question though... check out OpenBroadcastSoftware (OBS): https://obsproject.com

It is primarily designed for streaming to services like twitch.tv, but it has an output option in the settings to generate .mp4 files instead.
Yes, i know the quality of FRAPS is superb, but the problem is that the files are way too big to be viable. I only used 30 bitrate max, since i record mostly 40 minute videos, i will run out of disk space way before i finish that :/

It's a shame, i really liked the program. I just wish the developer would give us more freedom and let us choose what type of file / bitrate to record.

deardevildude19

Sexy Duck
Site Contributor
Yes, i know the quality of FRAPS is superb, but the problem is that the files are way too big to be viable. I only used 30 bitrate max, since i record mostly 40 minute videos, i will run out of disk space way before i finish that :/

It's a shame, i really liked the program. I just wish the developer would give us more freedom and let us choose what type of file / bitrate to record.
I doubt that it will be given that feature as it seems that the developer has stopped creating and updating FRAPS a while ago. Given that the last version was released in 2013.

But I do recommend that you use OBS as stated by ETAdmin as you can also get near lossless quality with more freedom over the file types.