Fraps doesn't start/stop recording

Discussion in 'FRAPS Help Requests' started by flusier, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all, unfortunetly my fraps doesn't want to start stop recording - i don't even know wheather it records in the background... I installed Windows 8 and fraps as well and every time i hit the record button, the symbol in the tray turns pink, hitting again makes it turning red. but it doesn't record, there are no video files in the output folder...and stopping to record is also impossible, it won't become yellow...
    I hope you guys can help me...
    Thanks in advance!
    Marc

2. raffriff

raffriff Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

RobiePAX and Thalmor Wizard like this.
  3. Hmm, I have to press the recording button very long, otherwise it doesn't record anything...
    So maybe there is another way I can fix that problem...

4. raffriff

When you tap the hotkey normally, what happens? The icon remains yellow? Try a different hotkey...

5. Yes, it remains yellow... Even trying a different hotkey doesn't help...

6. raffriff

I don't know, maybe it's a Windows 8 thing. You may have to have to wait for an update from Fraps...

I assume you are trying to record the desktop. What about recording full screen games?

7. OK, that's weird...Actually I wanted to record Desktop and a game. But I started Minecraft and all of a sudden it starts and stops recording as it should. but as soon as I quit the game, it automatically stops recording?!

8. So any idea?...

9. Thalmor Wizard

Thalmor Wizard is a Skyrim addict Staff Member Site Contributor

Well obviously it stops recording, you aren't hooked to anything for Fraps to record. Pretty sure Fraps cannot record the desktop of Windows 8 due to it's different UI anyway.

10. But I also had this problem while using Windows 7...

11. OK, looks like I . more or less - found the problem: DWM doesn't seem to be compatible with Win8. Any updates planned?

12. Thalmor Wizard

Thalmor Wizard is a Skyrim addict Staff Member Site Contributor

If DWM doesn't exist in Windows 8, Fraps will never support capturing the desktop in Windows 8, unless they can find a way to hook onto the desktop using another process.

13. ETAdmin

ETAdmin Administrator

There is a DWM process in windows 8, just not one that fraps can hook into currently.

14. I too have this issue, but with Windows 7. I have no idea what caused the issue, as I was able to record things just fine until recently. To specify, I can only get FRAPS to record video now if it monitors the Aero desktop. I do not want this, but rather just a regular window to record.

If I hold down my hotkey (F9), FRAPS goes into buffer mode, tap it again, and the icon turns red. But nothing it put into the output folder. No amount of tapping the hotkey again will change the icon back to yellow. I have to manually crash FRAPS, and restart it to try again.

15. I have the same problem as rocketman. I cannot get the recording started. I am running XP. Does anyone have a resolution?

16. raffriff

Since there has been a number of these complaints lately, maybe there is a problem with the latest version of Fraps, for some people. Here's how to get an older version:
    ...or substitute some other version number instead of "347" above.

Thalmor Wizard likes this.
  17. Thanks for the reply Raffriff. However I still get the same result. I followed your instructions twice to be sure. I used Fraps for a few years successfully but recently stopped working. It was reinstalled after a hard drive failure but I don't recall running it successfully after that. Perhaps there is something missing from my configuration. I am running XP with service pack 3 with a Pentium 4 cpu, directx 9.0 c and Firefox 17.0.1. Any further thoughts?

18. raffriff

After thinking about it for a while, there may be some third-party program that is causing Fraps to hang. Fraps attempts to hook itself into every visible process on your computer, even system tray items. Another possible problem I don't think we've mentioned is hotkey conflict. So...
    1. Reboot. After the restart, shut down all non-essential programs, especially browsers but also AV, Skype, chat...everything non-essential.
    2. Start Fraps. Set your recording hotkey to something you know isn't used in any other program (Ctl+Shift+F10 for example).
    3. Start game. If you don't see see the yellow FPS overlay, stop and check Event Viewer for any possible error messages. The error may not refer to Fraps at all, so just make a note of all errors and warnings since Fraps started.
    4. Tap (don't hold) the recording hotkey and the overlay should turn red. If it doesn't, quit game and check Event Viewer.
    5. Tap again to stop recording. Check the movie.

19. Raffriff - I am getting a little closer to what I am trying to do. If I play a video through WMP I can capture it with Fraps. If I play the same video through real player it doesn't work. If I try to capture a video segment from youtube using firefox it doesn't work. So I may have some interference from the player.

20. raffriff

Fraps is designed to capture only the following, as explained on their web site:
    1. Graphics rendered with DirectX and OpenGL technology - mainly games. Certain media players use DirectX or OpenGL, depending on settings. For example, to capture Youtube, Flash "Hardware Acceleration" must be enabled and the player must be full screen. RealPlayer should not be used under any circumstances. :) Get MPC-HC and try the different video renderers under Options/Video/Output.
    2. The entire desktop (in Windows Vista and above, with Aero enabled and Fraps "Monitor DWM" checked). This is not the best way to capture the desktop, but it's an added feature that was thrown in.

Thalmor Wizard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.