Fraps to Youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I record my game at 60fps and then I previously used Windows Live Movie Maker to convert them to 1080p, but I noticed a significant quality loss.
I want to compress the file with littlest quality loss and then upload it to youtube and whatever it would do to it.
Any suggestions? Ive heard h264 is pretty good but I dont know what to use.

Additionally, would it be better to record at 30fps rather than 60fps for youtube videos?

raffriff

Staff member
Site Contributor
Here are my settings in a great, free, H.264 encoder, x264vfw. All the options for H.264 are explained here.

x264vfw-setup-ABR7k+notes+ff.png [updated 8/24]
[EDIT - scroll down for slightly better settings]

...note, these settings are for uploading to YouTube, not for ultimate quality. Higher bit rates just seem to make the uploaded video noisier/blockier in my experience, but try it yourself, with short (like 10 sec) test uploads. I'm still learning, trying to get better quality from the Tube.

[EDIT - my YouTube settings are for racing games, which have lots of movement, all the time. Encoders usually give fast-moving sequences less quality, reserving highest quality for scenes like panoramas and closeups. That's why my settings are different from those you'll see recommended elsewhere, for example here, here, and here.]

Thanks for information, and I had to take a crash course in compression to understand properly. The file I tested went from 187mb to 4.5mb, so was not expecting that. For "Ultimate Quality" what would the settings be for 264?

If I aim for 1080p, would the lower res suffer as a result?

raffriff

Staff member
Site Contributor
For "Ultimate Quality" what would the settings be for 264?
(updated 12/30) Changed my mind on this a lot. I've updated post #8 for home theater, archive etc.

If I aim for 1080p, would the lower res suffer as a result?
You mean on YouTube? The lower res's always suffer, there nothing you can do about it that I know of. Upload a clean video at 1080 or 720; 480 will be fair, 360 will be blurry, 240 will be nasty.

I should rename this thread "Fraps and eventually to youtube." Heh, still learning.

When I convert(?) to a lossless codec its with the intention of editing?
If so, best settings for?
Huffyuv Multithread

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And h264

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

raffriff

Staff member
Site Contributor
I should rename this thread "Fraps and eventually to youtube." Heh, still learning.
You and me both. I'm playing with 2-pass encoding right now. More later, *if* I find something that works better than what I've already posted. "Fraps to youtube" is a good title; lots of people should be interested in this question.

Yes, you use Huffyuv if you are going to edit the clip again. Your Huffyuv settings, "predict median" + "predict gradient" are recommended by some knowledgeable sources. I suggest "predict left" + "<-YUY2" though, because it encodes and decodes a little faster (smoother playback in editors), and compresses a little better (20% better ,more or less) [EDIT - depends on source].

The checkbox "Always suggest RGB for output" helps compatibility: with RGB off, the video comes up with the wrong colors in Premiere Elements 4, and probably other programs as well.

You have your H.264 set for "single pass - lossless". I haven't tested this mode myself. I would not use this for uploading to YouTube because of the file size. Using the x264vfw settings I posted, the H.264 file, encoded at 7000 kb/s, will be 5%-7% as large as the Huffvuv file, and lossless H.264 is about 30%. That saves a lot of time uploading (no duh). So, I'm sticking to my suggestion of "single pass - bitrate based (ABR)", average bitrate = 4000 to 9000 kbit/s. Start with 7k for 720p resolution, 9k for 1080.

You can set your Preset to "Slower" or "Veryslow" if you have a faster computer or more patience than I do; the quality should be better. [EDIT - I don't do this any more for YouTube; it's still good for home theater]

Regarding Fourcc setting - I'm gonna leave mine at the default "x264" until I learn different. If you have a program that doesn't want to play your H.264 video, try another fourcc. But it's kinda like slapping a Lexus badge on a Chevy - some people might be fooled, but your mechanic won't be.

The command line options I suggest (--qpmax 38 --nr 100 --keyint 15) were chosen after a lot of testing. There were a ton of other options I tried that did not work for me. All I can say is, try these settings yourself on a short test upload and see if it helps (or hurts). Let me know what you find! [EDIT - again, these are good for home theater but not for YouTube - see below for updated settings]

Status
Not open for further replies.