Fraps videos converted are coming out with, I think, 8-bit color

Discussion in 'Video Encoding' started by aragond, Dec 6, 2016.

1. I see this isn't as well patronised as it once was (where did everybody go?), but let me try you out anyway. I am converting fraps AVI videos to MP4s and I've been using a program called Xmedia Recode -- which is just a shell around FFMPEG for the grunt work -- but I am finding my output videos are "washed out". Most of the time this doesn't bother me, but sometimes it is so ridiculously obvious it positively hurts my eyes with vibrant colours reduced to absolute grey garbage. (Notably the "paradise" in FC4 where the reds are turned into grey-reds.)

I've done some digging around and found that the reason is the color mode being used: yuv420p. This only provides 8 bits of colour, according to the output. I know I should instead be using "pix_fmt yuvj420p" says someone random. So, I run "ffmpeg -pix_fmts" I get a looooooooong list of options including "yuvj420p". Yay!

Problem is the only option Recode offers me against the "Color Mode" option is one simple "YUV 4:2:0 Planar 12bpp" and there does not seem to be any other option or setting anywhere else in the program to change that.

Is anyone aware of a way of forcing Recode to add a dropdown option in Recode? Or is there some setting I am using that prevents me using any other color mode? Or is Recode just poorly coded and doesn't offer all the options I could have?

The problem, I think, is that I am converting videos using CRF, which gives really good results otherwise, and I think is WAY too complicated for me to try doing using the command line -- I am guaranteed to f(k) that up

For background, my output videos come out with the following settings

Code:
    General
    Format                         : MPEG-4
    Codec ID                       : isom
    Overall bit rate mode          : Variable
    Overall bit rate               : 1 528 Kbps
    Writing application            : Lavf56.40.101

Video
    ID                             : 1
    Format                         : AVC
    Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                 : Main@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames      : 2 frames
    Codec ID                       : avc1
    Color space                    : YUV
    Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                      : 8 bits
    Scan type                      : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.517
    Stream size                    : 2.36 MiB (88%)
    Writing library                : x264 core 148 r2538
    Encoding settings              : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x131 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=50 / keyint_min=5 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=24000 / vbv_bufsize=24000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=3:1.00
    Encoded date                   : UTC 2016-09-14 21:55:11

2. Thalmor Wizard

Thalmor Wizard Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

It is quite unlikely that you'll get an answer on this topic. Most of the people who were involved in things like this have long moved on from the forums and no longer contribute here. The few who didn't use these options cannot really help as they wouldn't understand. I know I can't help on this topic, since I just livestream my content (which I'm sure most people do nowadays).

Additionally, the likely reason this topic isn't "patronised as much" (as you put it) is probably because video encoding has come a long way and doesn't require these kind of scripts.