Freezes and FPS dropdowns while recording

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings everyone.

I have some issue with fraps. Whenever I record on whatever settings I choose in fraps I get complete game freezes along with fps dropdowns, at first the game screen frezes completely, but the sound of the sutiation that is actually happening keeps playing until it stops. Then there is no sound no FPS at all just a single frame. This is occuring quite often and with no regularity. I found out that I can unfreeze it by alt+tabing, stopping recording (pressing F9) or just by waiting for unspecified amount of time, sometimes it unfreeze itself in just a blink and sometimes it takes whole seconds. Occasionaly the game unfreeze it self by just simply crashing with no error report. So after it actually happen to unfreeze itself in it's natural way (waiting) or unnatrual (altabing), I can see the FPS growing up from something like, let's say, 4,5 FPS to the ordinary state. Now you are probably wondering what my specs are. Well, here you have them.

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 3770
GPU: MSI nVidia GTX 680 OC w/ 2GB GDDR5
RAM: 8GB Corsair CL 9 1600Mhz (4+4)
Primary HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm 64MB cache SATA III (This is where I run games from)
Secondary HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm 64MB cache SATA III (This is where I record vids to)

According to my HW I see no reason at all for such a behaviour. I hope anyone can help me out.

Thank you in forward for any advice.

raffriff

Staff member
Site Contributor
Low frame rate, lagging, falling performance: start here...

Best FRAPS performance tips AFAIK
  • Fraps Capture Settings
    • start with full size, 30 fps
      (high capture rates cause bad frame rates & lagging unless HDD very fast)
    • "Lock Framerate" - Off
      (allows higher in-games fps - IF you have enough power)
    • "Lossless RGB" - Off
      (RGB almost doubles the file size; which can cause
      bad frame rates & lagging)
  • Turn off background processes and other features that can slow down your system...
    (if you don't you will get
  • Record to a dedicated hard drive.
    (if you don't you will get
    • 500GB or greater, 7200RPM or greater preferred
      (slow HDDs cause
    • Have at least 30% free space
      (low free space causes
    • Defrag often
      (disk fragmentation causes
    • Don't use a "green" HDD
      (green HDDs cause
    • Don't record to an external drive - but if you do, don't use USB 2.0;
      use USB 3.0 or eSATA
      (USB 2.0 is slow; slow HDDs cause
    • Check this CrystalDiskMark sequential write benchmark; if it's not at
      least 90 MB/s, use another drive
      (slow or malfunctioning HDDs cause
    • Hard drives get slower with heavy Fraps use; eventually they need to be re-formatted.
      (slow or malfunctioning HDDs cause
  • Turn down some detail settings & special effects...
    (high settings cause
  • Try disabling vertical sync & triple buffering...
    (vertical sync cause
    bad frame rates & lagging, sometimes)
  • Try to get 100-120 fps in-game, minimum, without Fraps recording; more is always better.
    (if you don't you will have very low frame rates & lagging)
If following all these tips does not help, try searching this forum (and check the tag cloud on the front page); if you still need help feel free to ask. :cool:

I appreciate your effort and I don't want to look ungrateful or anything, but...um maybe you haven't noticed the fact that I do not own PC model typewriter 1928... problems mentioned above can't be really applied to my machine.

Thalmor Wizard

Staff member
Site Contributor
Did you even read his post ? He is clearly giving you general ideas on possible causes of your problem. If your just going to throw that back at him then don't expect people to actually help you. :/

I read it, actutally pretty into detail. And general idea that could possibly cause my problem can't be really something like background processes. From what I read here I know people don't use secondary HDD to write their vids on and then they wonder: "How come I have fps dropdowns?" Or they have weak CPU and then they still wonder. Two months ago I had weak system too. I am not saying that the ones that do not own high-end machines are something less, but they can't expect miracles from it. But that's really not my case. It just looks to me that he actually didn't even read my post in the first place. I wrote my specs down for a reason and that reason was not to receive hints like turn off background processes. If your headlights on your car do not work, and you changed bulbs and fuse, then you visit someone that is more experienced, you don't expect him to tell you to change the bulbs or your fuse. Do you? You also presume that he would know that's something you're genereally able to found out yourself. I have no intention of slowing my system down on purpose by anything I don't use at the moment and then ask people for help.

raffriff

Staff member
Site Contributor
you wrote your specs, but you didn't address all my points, did you? maybe if you had demonstrated that you had read my sticky I wouldn't have had to copypaste it into your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.