Handbrake Compression: A Tutorial

Discussion in 'FRAPS General Discussion, Guides, and Tutorials' started by Thalmor Wizard, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Do you know of a software that could convert TS video (.ts) into another format?
    A format that I can use in handbreak.

2. raffriff

raffriff Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

.TS is for DVDs etc [1] [2]. Read the Handbrake tutorials for that kind of thing.

3. 16gb? i have 4 because i really dont need more haha. i bet id be fine with 3 even. even bf3 uses 1.1gb
    anyway, my main question was how should i use sony vegas to render it (no edits) into something handbrakeable?

also, im really loving this xmediarecode for encoding for my WVGA android phone, can anyone help me to encode for fraps videos? also, i made a whole movie in WLMM but WLMM gets stuck and freezes at 4%. its about 4 clips of assassins creed 2 at 1080 with 60fps. maybe 30-45s total and it cant finish it. like shukaku and geowil said, its either the editor or codec they have a problem with. should i try to export them one by one, THEN use those exported to make the movie? thats actually a good idea, why didnt i think of that before haha...trying now.

4. raffriff

No need to use Handbrake with Vegas, Akash - encode to WMV directly.
    Your questions are all over the map and would be off-topic to discuss in this thread. I'd be happy to talk about XMedia Recode in a new thread, and Shukaku has a thread for WLMM.

5. Handbrake always freezes for me at like 13.7% the video was 23.6gigs is it too large for it to handle? Also ive tried every other possible god damn method to compress fraps videos but they dont work. I tried ure tutorial Shukaku, but as i said it freezes and then while using k-light, lagarith lossless codec, xvid, and x264vfw64 with virtual dub i always get error- unrecognized frame format. I looked up how to resave as avi with the lagarithlossless codec and then recompress but that didnt work either! Why am i getting the damn unrecognized frame format all the time! Is there a recommended setting for fraps to record so i dont have these problems? Right now i have virtualdub and x264vfw64 codec, and lagarith lossless codec installed. I uninstalled handbrake. Someone please help me i basically just wasted money on fraps for no reason.... I heard that it may be the latest version of fraps that is ahead of the encoding software. Is is possible to download an older version of fraps? If so would it be registered or do i have to buy another one.... Finally please note that virtualdub was giving me the unrecognized frame format at a certain frame. So in video error mode i went to the 2nd option, conceal errors and continue to next frame- however when i did that it gave me the memory loss error. Thing is this is a newly built computer so i have like 95% of my memory unused... Someone help me!

Specs: OS: WIndows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
    Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" SSD
    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB
    Case NZXT CS-NT-ZERO-2 ATX Full Tower
    Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
    Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
    Monitor Asus ML228H 21.5"
    Keyboard Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4
    Mouse Cooler Master SGM-2001-BLON1 Wired Optical

6. Thalmor Wizard

Thalmor Wizard Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

I haven't had problems yet, but it is most likely that the video is too large or it is reaching a point where the video has become corrupted. Check the video you are inputting into Handbrake incase it's corrupted.

7. raffriff

You can also try DivXRepair and DivFix. Both will try to delete any bad frames. They both make a fresh copy of the file, so at least they won't make things worse. Is this one file you are having trouble with, or all files?

You might have a failing hard drive or a bad connection - or maybe the drive is overworked. Green drives are especially prone to acting up when hot.

For both V-dub and Handbrake trouble, try throttling (speed limiting). V-dub has its own throttle slider on the encoding status dialog. But I prefer using BES as described in High CPU temps when encoding. Set both applications to 50-70% speed; that should allow the hard drive and other components some breathing room. You can adjust speed on the fly if you want a certain CPU temp.

http://www.google.com/search?q=handbrake cpu throttling // it's a popular idea; too bad no one seems to know about BES except me - and now you.

8. Well i got home and now everything is working i didnt even use repair or anything. But you guys still helped me indirectly. Your other posts said to set the output of fraps to a different hard drive, and i did a small test and it worked. compressed it through videodub perfectly no unrecognized frame rate error. Then rendered it through wlmm with editing and transitions. Then recompressed and switched to mp4 for youtube with handbrake. Tedious process needing three different renderings but my computer is fast enough that i dont notice lol. Just one question. Fraps is on my ssd, and bf3 is on my ssd. My output was on my hdd and then it worked fine. So if my other game is on my hdd should i set the output to ssd? Or is it set an output that is a different drive from the fraps program not the game being played? Correct me please. And thanks for your help so far.

9. raffriff

> So if my other game is on my hdd should i set the output to ssd?
    No! Don't record to the SSD at all (as a general rule)

If the game ONLY hits the HDD to load maps before gameplay starts, then it doesn't matter where it's installed, because the two activities (loading, writing) don't happen at the same time.

If you get lagging/hesitation in gameplay/recording though, move the game installation to any drive except the drive Fraps is writing to. The SSD would do fine if you have the space.

10. Very good software.

So can i use VirtualDub to add a logo for my videos and save it in the normal format without compression then use this for compression?

I use Virtualdub for cutting and adding a logo. But I suck in compression :( but this software looks great. I just tried it and the output was good.

Looking for some help with you guys!

11. raffriff

[edit]
    >So can i use VirtualDub to add a logo for my videos and save it in the normal format without compression then use this for compression?
    Yes you can. That's what Handbrake is best at - compressing.
    BTW Handbrake creates .mp4 video files which are preferred (but not required) by YouTube over .avi, which v-dub generates.

12. Thanks raff,

So let's say I have a mp4 or MKV or even avi video OK? can i open it in Virtualdub, add a logo and cut few parts, then save it without compression? like it'll be the original source? after that I use HandBrake.

I found a tutorial, how about average bitrate: 420, 2 pass encoding and turbo first pass enabled? Good settings?

[​IMG]

What do you think?

13. raffriff

> how about average bitrate: 420, 2 pass encoding and turbo first pass enabled? Good settings?
    I don't know Shukaku's recommendations, but for myself, I say HELL NO. :)
    (unless you are encoding for absolute minimum file size for some reason)

There's a good video tutorial that suggests some Handbrake settings, linked from my post here.

14. Thalmor Wizard

I would just go for the defaults that I recommend in the opening post. They produce the better quality than fiddling with them ;)

15. @raff: Please is it possible to see a picture? Because the settings are hard to understand for me :( I am so new to this..I can't understand anything..I am not an expert. I hope you can help me.

@Gaara :) : OK thanks, thanks for the software :)

16. raffriff

I'm looking at the default "normal" profile and yeah, it's not bad. :thumbsup.jpg:

I would change just a few things:
    • enable "web optimized" (recommended for YouTube uploads)
    • ratefactor = 17, more or less (if pixellation is seen, use a lower ratefactor)
    EDIT - deblocking no longer recommended; it's more dangerous than helpful.
    EDIT - suggested starting ratefactor changed to 17, to get the same quality and file size as
    x264vfw (Virtualdub, etc) at ratefactor 18 or 19. Don't know why there's a difference.

Kilwa and Thalmor Wizard like this.
  17. Thalmor Wizard

If you are using Handbrake, then 0.9.8 has been released which includes a download for those who use 64-bit Windows. I recommend you update to take advantage of the changes and bug fixes.

Kilwa likes this.
  18. Thanks a lot guys :D

So many good information!!

19. Thalmor Wizard

Just noticed something about the Web Optimised option. For some reason, ticking that option causes YouTube to believe that your audio/video is not in sync. However, I have never seen my AV out of sync when using the Web Optimised option so I'd just ignore the warning YouTube throws.

20. what do you mean by this? just to make sure i wasn't making an assumption, i threw a 70gb fraps AVI at handbrake and it seems to be doing ok.

i WILL say, however, that a majority of videos on youtube DO need a good editing down in time ;)

.ts (and .tr, .trp) are mainly HDTV/SDTV (transport stream) files. if US/CA-sourced, usually MPEG-2 + AC3. EU used to be MPEG-2, but i think is mostly h.264 now.

i'm not sure if anyone is misnaming blu-ray (.m2ts) files to .ts, though

edit: not sure if it was the case when it was originally posted, but i was able to open (edit2: and encode) a .ts file just now. you may need to repair it (just google "fix ts file" and look for posts on doom9 or videohelp).