Handbrake Compression: A Tutorial

Discussion in 'FRAPS General Discussion, Guides, and Tutorials' started by Thalmor Wizard, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Thalmor Wizard

Thalmor Wizard Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

I basically meant that Handbrake is designed to encode videos of low bitrates. For most people, the high bitrate of a Fraps video(s) can be too much for their system causing the HandbrakeCLI.exe process to crash. Chucking 70gb of data at an encoder is extremely risky and it's really not something I would ever recommend anyone to do.

2. possibly Handbrake (and programs not as well coded as Handbrake). my system WAS a wee bit sluggish after the encode, but recovered within ~30-60 seconds of launching another program.

x264 (which Handbrake is built around) and/or Avisynth should handle large files just fine. i've been playing with 100-400gb sources the last couple of days (400 if you count tiling 100gb 1080p videos 2x2) and feeding them to x264 just fine.

edit: oh, i could have sworn Handbrake accepted AVISynth scrips...

3. It doesn't say i have presets there is no Presets tab, I have windows 8. What do I do?

4. Thalmor Wizard

Handbrake does not support Windows 8.

5. ETAdmin

ETAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I have no issues with using handbrake with windows 8

@-Maxx- It isn't a tab, look under the help icon at the top right of the program.

6. Diogo

Diogo Site Contributor Well-Known Member

+1 Using Windows 8, no issues so far.

7. Thalmor Wizard

Not saying there would be issues, but Handbrake by itself is not listed as being officially supported on Windows 8, hence there could be issues, since the Handbrake devs have not tested the software on Windows 8 and made it official.

8. I put a 24GB file into handbrake and it went down to 2.8GB and it is only 30 min and I still want to have the file smaller. Could I put the video back through handbrake again to get it smaller or would it lose a lot of quality.

9. Diogo

Diogo Site Contributor Well-Known Member

I would edit the video first with some other software then use handbrake.

Thalmor Wizard likes this.
  10. magda48

magda48 Well-Known Member

Shukaku, You said that Handbrake is better than Format Factory?

11. ciarlo2006

ciarlo2006 Site Contributor Well-Known Member

12. What would it make my 72gb fraps file? It's 25 minutes of Euro Truck Simulator 2.

13. ciarlo2006

ciarlo2006 Site Contributor Well-Known Member

It would make it smaller. :) Ba dum chhhh.

14. raffriff

raffriff Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

Assuming your video quality slider in Handbrake is set to RF:18, expect about a 30:1 shrinkage depending the how compressible the video is: from 72 down gigs to about 2 or 3 gigs.

Higher RF numbers make more compressed videos, with worse quality. I wouldn't go higher than RF:23, which would shrink the file by maybe 40 or 50:1

15. Thalmor Wizard

You shouldn't render a whole raw Fraps AVI file in Handbrake. I highly recommend using a video editor as an intermediate to make the file smaller before compressing in Handbrake.

16. Thanks guys.

And yea, I shall. Camtasia made it to 2.67gb. So, if I handbrake after that, around 250mb you think? :)

17. ETAdmin

ETAdmin Administrator Staff Member

18. Thalmor Wizard

I'd estimate 2.67gb to be cut to just around the 1gb mark.

19. billman

billman Site Contributor Well-Known Member

I use handbrakeCLI on files that are over 300GB (about 2 and a half hours at 30 FPS), output is around 30-40GB. I wrote a small script to automatically grab the new fraps files (once released by fraps) and transcode them with the fastest possible setting.

I also limit Handbrake to two cores (via script). This provides me about 50FPS throughput and reduces the files to about 10-15 percent of the original file size with 90 percent quality. The only failed encode I have ever had from handbrake was before I discovered I need the -4 or --large tag to force a 64bit header. Tops out at 650MB RAM used but limiting the affinity seems to cause some rather chunky behavior while finalizing the video file (Causes Fraps to lock up momentarily during recording). However allowing it to have the whole CPU make recording dam hard even on my beast. Maybe I need a six core :p

I have made my own thread about it

20. Thalmor Wizard

I should've posted this earlier, but Handbrake 0.9.9 has been released and boasts an improved GUI and several performance improvements. Check the Release Notes for more information.

Just so people know, I am not using Handbrake 0.9.9 atm, due to it being bugged at the beginning, but may consider upgrading now that most of those post-release bugs have been fixed.

billman likes this.