Handbrake Compression: A Tutorial

Discussion in 'FRAPS General Discussion, Guides, and Tutorials' started by Thalmor Wizard, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Thanks for the share this is a useful tool.

raffriff likes this.
  2. Waddle

Waddle Site Contributor Well-Known Member

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but how exactly does this work? Will it still make a difference if I'm rendering in MainConcept AVC (MP4) in Sony Vegas?

3. raffriff

raffriff Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

Waddle and Thalmor Wizard like this.
  4. So I need to render in Premiere\Vegas an uncompressed file and drop it in Handbrake or I can render it in MP4 and drop it on handbrake to be encoded again? Im a bit lost here :)

5. Thalmor Wizard

Thalmor Wizard Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

Basically, you import your uncompressed recordings into Premiere/Vegas/your editing program of choice. You edit it and do all sorts of fancy stuff on it. Then you render it in the video editor to create a smaller file at high quality (usually about 30Mbps bitrate is what I recommend for 1080p). The video that is created from this process is then dropped into Handbrake and compressed, the resultant compressed file can then be uploaded.

jvmagni likes this.
  6. Thanks for the answer! Them problem that I'm having is that my videos are very pixelated, blurry and full of blocks when uploaded to youtube. On my compuer the final render look nearly perfect. I tried MP4 H264 at 1080P 60FS 70MBPS and still getting bad quality after sending it to youtube. I hope that Handbrake makes it better after uploading it. Here is a sample of my video:

I tried .WMV, .MP4 AVC, MP4 H264, RAW File from SP (H264), tried Premiere and Vegas and I always get nice quality on the final file but terrible quality on youtube while other youtubers get some very good quality without the blur and blocks but unfotunately they don't share there secrets... Am I doing something wrong?

7. Thalmor Wizard

There is no point sending files that have a bit rate of 20Mbps or higher: you gain absolutely nothing from it (except wasted time for the longer render) and the footage just looks worse than it should. What quality setting are you playing the video at? If you set it to 720p60 or 1080p60, does the footage look clearer? 480p and below isn't meant to be good quality and is generally for those with average connections but can't watch in HD.

Also, what program are you using to render the videos? Your video implies Premiere Pro, but I'm not sure what program was used to record the video in the first place.

As a reference point, all the videos I upload in 1080p (at least those from Skyrim) have an average bitrate of around 15Mbps and the videos come out perfect on youtube (at least on HD): 480p looks a little pixellated but it's watchable and the pixellation isn't really noticeable.

jvmagni likes this.
  8. I'm playing the videos on youtube at fullscreen 1080P HD. I'm using Threatty videos as a reference for quality and mine it's not even close to his video.

I'm using DXTORY with UT Lossless video codec, recording at 1080P 60FPS in AVI container but I also tried Shadowplay 1080P and Lagarith Lossless 1080p, all with same result after uploading to YT. The RAW file from DXTORY with UT codec looks perfect to me. I render using Sony Vegas mostly (tried MP4 Main Concept AVC, AVI H264, WMV QVBR) and all of them look perfect after rendering but bad after uploading. The sample that I posted here I used Adobe Premiere to render. I render it as H264 Youtube Template with 70mbps bitrate and it looks the same as when I render using Vegas Mainconcept MP4 or WMV. What settings should I use to render? What codec? I'm completely lost...

This is the type of quality that I want to achieve:

And this is what I'm getting so far:

9. Thalmor Wizard

Unfortunately, there are some games that have really high graphical quality and a lot of movement, and as a result, they will always look bad on YouTube regardless of what you do. Have you considered doing upscaling? This is where you render the video to a resolution higher than what it was recorded at: a popular choice is 2560x1440, which should trigger 1440p quality, though this means that people need superfast broadband speeds to buffer the video properly as a result of the increased bitrate.

You are using all the recommended codecs but I can't seem to see any other solution than trying to upscale the footage. As I've said, some games just simply are bad quality on YouTube and it's usually because the game's quality is just too high for the processing system to compress. Youtube displays videos around about the 8000kbps bitrate for 1080p30 videos, 1080p60 is around 12000kbps: high movement content tends to disrupt the bitrate, causing poor quality.

Sorry I can't help further! If upscaling doesn't work (note: this WILL cause the video to be larger and likely take longer to be uploaded and processed), then all I can recommend is to test various settings or simply accept the video will be lower quality than you would prefer. You could always try asking Threatty for the settings they used to record their video and seeing if their settings work out better.

I don't recommend recording in lossless format though, no real point since YouTube won't showcase a lossless video. :p

jvmagni likes this.
  10. I tried to render at 1440P but the result is the same, still a lot of blur and pixelate when moving. I don't think the problem is the game since Threaty also recorded the same game as me and it was perfect. I already tried to ask him and other people tried too but We are ignored by him unfortunately.

I record with lossless codec because the files are smoother compared to Shadowplay files for example. Shadowplay is choppy and skip frames for me and are bad when used with slow motion... But thanks for the effort to help me! Will try to solve this problem...