Problem with SOUND AAAAAA!!!!! [XP, microphone]

Discussion in 'FRAPS Help Requests' started by StanleyCZ, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Hi guys i'm new on this forum and i have problem with recording sound i buyed condenser microphone and external sound card i have problem to record sound ... well i can turn on speakers but it is not good help me pls i don't know what to do with it :/
    Operation system: Win XP
    Sound card : M Audio Mobile Pre

2. raffriff

raffriff Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

Hi Stanley, this is the way I do it: Basic setup for voice commentary with Fraps on Windows XP
    I use USB headphones, but you can do the same using your mic instead.
    Where I say set Audacity to "Record device: USB Headset," use "Record device: microphone"

Ignore where I say "you won't hear the game in the headphones" - I'm talking about the USB headset, which doesn't apply to you.

If you have a problem, please post screen shots.

3. Ok I'll try it

4. I don't know if you can understand to my language i'm from cz like on my name :)
    Hmm and audacity is recording ... i can't record from game . I can record only when i'm playing on guitar or singing or saying anything but game from headphones can't record...

Attached Files:

5. And i forgot i know how to record with headphones but with new microphone not

6. raffriff

So you can record the game sounds OK but not the microphone?

It seems to me the settings on these screen shots are OK, but on the "Realtek HD Audio Input" mixer, the last fader on the right, "...stereo" should be un-muted. The master fader on the left should be around 20% of maximum level, not 100%.

These settings will get the game sounds, but not the microphone. Now get Audacity and run it. Your input selections should look like this screenshot - except the third list item should show your microphone.
    audio-xp-usb-audacity-voice-3c crop.png

EDIT see this tutorial:
    https://encodingtalk.com/threads/better-audio-mixing-for-commentary-videos.2140/
    (this is only one way to do it; it's easier if you have a video editor)

7. i Have camtasia it can record and render or cut the video and more .... Mabye i wrote it bad becouse i mean i can record what i'm saying but no the sound in the game when i'm recording in fraps i can record video without sound and add my voice from audacity ... I don't know how to record the game sounds when are speakers off

8. raffriff

OK, if you aren't getting game sounds, see what I said above: "...stereo" should be un-muted

9. I don't know i turned it on but look at this screen shot . That looks my sound card but it is the output only for playing sounds and on thesecond picture is input but there isn't nothing. On the fraps you can see Realtek HD audio sound input can be here something differend? Like M-Audio Mobile Pre input ?

Attached Files:

10. raffriff

I'm not sure what's happening here - does the following describe your setup?
    • integrated RealTek audio module - built in to the computer.
    • "M Audio Mobile Pre" = audio mixer, attached by USB.
    If this is the case,
    • Fraps should select the RealTek, as you had it before (but you need to un-mute "stereo")
    • Audacity should select "M Audio Mobile Pre out " = the OUTPUT of your mixer. The INPUTs are the input jacks ("mic", "line" etc) on your external mixer, and are controlled by the faders (volume controls) on the mixer; therefore mixer inputs don't appear in the Windows control panel.

11. Oh well it was only idea I think i un-muted stereo you want screen shot?

12. raffriff

Not needed if you can
    1. record game audio with Fraps using RealTek
    2. record your microphone with Audacity using the external mixer
      1. make the input selection as I described above
      2. press the red "recording" button and you should see some activity when you speak in the mic.
    Once you can do that, then you will have the "joy" of learning to use Audacity properly and editing the sound - but that's another story. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube about that :)
    http://www.google.com/search?q=fraps audacity youtube