Record Windows 8 desktop

I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

It seems Fraps can't capture the Windows 8 desktop (Not mertro). I've pretty much primarily used it for this purpose and was wondering if there is a new patch in the works?

Thank you.

Fraps doesn't even support Windows 8 so it's no big surprise it does not work.
Fraps works perfectly fine in Windows 8. It just doesn't capture the desktop. So i was asking if there is any news of a patch to update this feature?

Whether or not it's a surprise it doesn't work or not isn't any of my concern.

raffriff

Staff member
Site Contributor
Nobody here knows what's going to happen - or if they do, they're not talking :)

The non-Metro (oops, "Modern UI Style") desktop doesn't use Aero Glass, at least not by default; maybe it's an option. If the desktop doesn't use DirectX (the underlying technology behind Aero), the Fraps desktop recording feature won't work.

The final desktop has not been released, so there may be a DirectX desktop yet to be seen:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/18/creating-the-windows-8-user-experience.aspx
While a few of these visual changes are hinted at in the upcoming Release Preview, most of them will not yet be publicly available. You’ll see them all in the final release of Windows 8!

Nobody here knows what's going to happen - or if they do, they're not talking :)
If you don't ask you don't get :).
The non-Metro (oops, "Modern UI Style") desktop doesn't use Aero Glass, at least not by default; maybe it's an option. If the desktop doesn't use DirectX (the underlying technology behind Aero), the Fraps desktop recording feature won't work.

The final desktop has not been released, so there may be a DirectX desktop yet to be seen:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/18/creating-the-windows-8-user-experience.aspx
The final release of Windows 8 is available already if you're a member of various Microsoft services (Dreamspark Premium, MSDN ect...)

I only own and use Fraps and don't bother to keep up to date with what's happening. I thought I'd ask here just in case, but it seems there isn't any recent news, and that's Ok!

The technology behind aero (DWM) is absolutely still there and used by default. If they removed the tech behind aero you'd have a non-composited desktop with no effects and tearing, like with windows xp. In windows 8 both the modern and classic desktops still use DWM.

All they did with the classic desktop in windows 8 was change the theme so its flatter and doesn't use as much transparency, and removed the blur effect.

Having a bit of a problem getting Fraps 3.5.99 to do anything (useful) in Windows 8.

For some reason the FPS overlay isn't being displayed and the function keys don't start (or stop) recording; nor does it capture a screenshot.

Thalmor Wizard

Staff member
Site Contributor
Fraps is not officially supported on Windows 8 by beepa, so we can't really provide full support on it yet and this is probably a bug in the software. I'd highly recommend reporting this to beepa themselves via their site, the more bugs they get, the more likely they can get Windows 8 officially supported :)

I have windows 8 and have the latest version of FRAPS and have it set to record the desktop but it won't. It will record everything else like google chrome but not the desktop.

Thank you for your replies.

Thalmor Wizard

Staff member
Site Contributor
Windows 8 does not have an Aero desktop that Fraps can capture at this time. Plus, you should use different software to capture the desktop, as Fraps support for it is very bad with a lot of bugs.

What game are you trying to record? I've not had any problems with it so far, other than not being able to record the desktop.
Well, I am into art, and I am trying to record my flash program but it won't work. Currently I am using Macromedial Flash 8 (yeah i know it's old) on a windows 8 desktop. It wont show up with the counter and it wont record.

raffriff

Staff member
Site Contributor
I don't think you want to record the desktop; you want to record the Flash window directly. You need an application that renders Flash with DirectX or OpenGL.
Someone asked a question in this thread on how to record specific games. Since this particular game was flash, I felt like showing how to record flash games for anyone else having issues with recording them.

First, we need to use the standalone Adobe Flash "Projector" application. Grab it here: http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html Don't get the debugger, just the projector. It isn't an installer, just an .exe you run when you want to use it. You can then drag the .swf file into the window and it should play, with fraps hooking into it like other games.

Here is a video showing how it is done:

Last edited:

Thalmor Wizard

Staff member
Site Contributor
Or, you could use something like HyperCam 2 to record that particular region of the screen. Also, you should really upgrade your Shockwave Flash Player, Flash Plauer 8 is very old and out of date and should only be used for legacy programs that depend on it.