Size ( in MBytes ) for a 20 min video

Discussion in 'FRAPS General Discussion, Guides, and Tutorials' started by Hubert, Oct 9, 2014.

1. I consider to purchase the FRAPS software but before doing so I wonder
    how many MegaBytes ( or Gigabytes ) a 20 min video requires .

I appreciate your input

Hubert

2. deardevildude19

deardevildude19 Sexy Duck Site Contributor Well-Known Member

The file size depends on what resolution and frame rate you record at. Can you give some examples of the resolution and frame rate you desire to record at.

3. Since I do not have the program yet I do not know what frame rate or resolutions are available.
    Let's say I choose the maximum for both,what is the estimated file size ?
    Thank you

Hubert

4. deardevildude19

Well the max resolution is really quite high and the maximum FPS is 120. There is also a option to record it on the resolution your are playing and to record at half the resolution. On some recording I have currently it is a 2.84 GB file for 2 minutes and 22 seconds at 720p, so I am guessing you will have a really high file size for anything else.

raffriff and Thalmor Wizard like this.
  5. Thalmor Wizard

Thalmor Wizard Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

That's not how Fraps works. You don't "set" a resolution, it's either the full resolution of the game being recorded or half the "full size" resolution. Again, what games do you want to record and what resolution do you plan on recording at? Your question isn't answerable because every game is different, there's no set values that Fraps uses for each game.

If you want to test it before purchasing the full version, download the trial version from the Fraps site here: http://www.fraps.com/download.php. This version is limited to 30 seconds of footage and has a watermark, but allows you to test the program before purchasing.

@deardevildude19 Even though 120fps is the maximum, just assume the maximum is 60fps, since you gain nothing from going above 60fps. And it's all game/graphic quality dependent (some games are graphically simpler to record than others).

Waddle, raffriff and deardevildude19 like this.
  6. deardevildude19

As @Thalmor Wizard suggested get the trial and then record a lot of clips and see how much they come up to, seems like a lot of hassle but its probably the best thing to do.

Thalmor Wizard and Waddle like this.
  7. Waddle

Waddle Site Contributor Well-Known Member

Yeaaah, don't go buying stuff just because its mainstream, then realizing you don't even like the product.

8. deardevildude19

There are alot of factors that can effect the file size of a video so it is difficult to tell exactly how big the file will be, so its really a matter of testing it yourself to find the file sizes

Thalmor Wizard and Waddle like this.