Sony Vegas won't open Fraps videos

Every time I try to put a Fraps recording into Sony Vegas, it comes up with this error message - ''None of the files dropped on Vegas Pro could be opened.''. Any answers appreciated, contact me or ask in your reply for any more info :)

Here's the report-
Code:
FRAFS AVI Info Report

Filename:  javaw 2013-11-26 17-24-36-66.avi
Path:  C:\Fraps\Movies

General:
  Filesize (MB)........   68.46 MB

Video:
  Format...............   AVI
  Codec................   Fraps
  Resolution...........   424 x 240
  Aspect...............   1.77 (16:9)
  Framerate............   30.00
  Color Depth (bits)...   24 bits
  Duration (m:ss)......   0:22.100
  Frames...............   663
  Keyframes............   622 (94%)
  Bitrate (kbps).......   24,557 Kbps
  Bitrate (MB/s).......   3.00 MB/s
  Qf (Bits/Pix*Frm)....   8.04
  Comp. Ratio..........   3 : 1
  Color Space..........   RGB

Audio:
  Format...............   Microsoft PCM Format
  Channels.............   2
  Sample Rate..........   44,100 Hz
  Bit Depth............   16 Bits
  Audio Delay..........   (none)
  Bitrate (kbps).......   1,411 kbps
  Comp. Ratio..........   1.00000 : 1

raffriff

Staff member
Site Contributor
I see "Lossless RGB Capture" is used - which is a good thing to do at that low resolution (assuming you must record at that low resolution...) but Vegas might not like it. Can Vegas open a [Fraps] recording made with RGB off? If RGB is the problem, I can suggest some workarounds.

Last edited:

raffriff

Staff member
Site Contributor
Oh I forgot - Fraps always forces RGB mode on at that resolution.

I think I would convert to a more "normal" video color format, YUV 420, enlarging it at the same time since YUV 420 has lower color resolution. This usually means recompressing the video, but there may be a shortcut. Try the method described here first, and see if it works: Avisynth 2.5 to Vegas (doom9.org).

If it *does* work and you can open Avisynth scripts in Vegas, you won't need to recompress the video before editing it. A simple script like this should do it:
Code:
#avisynth
AviSource("C:\whatever\fraps1.avi") ## EDIT THIS
Spline16Resize(2*Width, 2*Height)
ConvertToYV12(matrix="Rec709", chromaresample="spline16")
return Last
If it does *not* work I can help you enlarge and recompress the video for importing into Vegas with a 3rd party application (eg VirtualDub)

RobiePAX

Site Contributor
It's legit alright. Just another site that posts updates about K-Lite Codec Pack and others. Though it's Guide, not Guild. I prefer free-codecs.com because they don't tend to redirect you through different forums, file sharing websites and ads. You click download, you start downloading.

Gorrock2 I also would recommend to (re)installing K-Lite Codec Pack. Click here to start the download. If you already had some codec pack installed on your PC then make sure to remove those, and during K-Lite installation select to reset all settings.