What has happened to FRAPS?

Discussion in 'FRAPS General Discussion, Guides, and Tutorials' started by deardevildude19, Feb 29, 2016.

1. deardevildude19

deardevildude19 Sexy Duck Site Contributor Well-Known Member

Its been over 3 years now since FRAPS has had an update. I'm wondering why people still see it as an option because yes it has a pretty good quality and everything but you can get similar quality from stuff like ShadowPlay and Dxtory.

Not only that it is a very resource intensive program and some games struggle to support that I heard from. Personally I don't see FRAPS as being an option when recording game play because also it doesn't support multiple audio for if you want to record your microphone separate from PC audio like you can on Dxtory, which to me I see as a very important thing when choosing a game play recorder.

2. Thalmor Wizard

Thalmor Wizard Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

I have no idea. Honestly, Shadowplay and other software are better than Fraps. Even I don't use Fraps now, because I know I can't get good FPS with it.

3. deardevildude19

deardevildude19 Sexy Duck Site Contributor Well-Known Member

I just think that compared to other choices now it is really out dated and I would be surprised if people still pay for it, there is probably more people downloading pirated versions than there is people buying it.

Thalmor Wizard likes this.
  4. Thalmor Wizard

Thalmor Wizard Moderator Staff Member Site Contributor

I suppose Fraps still has a lot of uses to some people. Totalbiscuit still apparently uses Fraps (according to his video about video bitrates on YouTube), and I assume a range of others would still use it, simply because of the fact it produces near-lossless video footage. And in some cases, people would need near-lossess to display the fidelity of the game they're recording (for personal or public reasons). I personally won't use Fraps again, the only time being if it's a game Shadowplay can't record.